Temporary Event Notices

A temporary event notice (TEN) allows you to host one-off events for up to 499 people without applying for a full Premises licence.

Perfect for situations such as a party that will finish later than your permitted opening hours or running a beer tent at a festival, these notices can cover an event up to one-week long but there must be at least 24 hours between the last and next event at the same location. There are also limits as to the number of days per year a venue can utilise TENs.

The number of TENs you can apply for depends on whether you are a Personal Licence Holder and the number of events that have already taken place at the proposed venue.

We can help you evaluate whether your application for a temporary event notice will be successful and where possible, achieve verification within three Working Days as long as there are at least ten clear working days between the start of the application and the event.

However, if it is between five and ten days before your event is due to start we may still be able to help you. This is called a Late TEN.


Late TEN

Similar to a Temporary Event Notice, a Late TEN can allow regulated activities to take place for temporary (less than 168hr) events for up to 499 persons.  The required notice period for the Late TEN is between 9 to 5 working days, not including the day the notice is served on the Council or the day of the event.  A personal licence holder can apply for up to 10 Late TEN per calendar year, a person who does not hold a licence can apply for 2 per calendar year.  A Late TEN can be vetoed by the Police or Environmental health officers, without any right to a hearing or appeal.

Permitted Hours

The hours permitted for a premises to trade daily by reference to the relevant premises licence.

Personal Licence Holder

A licence granted pursuant to s.111 of Licensing Act 2003 by a licensing authority to an individual authorising that person to supply alcohol, or authorise the supply of alcohol , in accordance with the terms of a premises licence.


Any place and includes a vehicle, vessel or movable structure.

Working Days

Any day other than a Saturday, a Sunday, Christmas Day, Good Friday or a day which is a bank holiday under the Banking and Financial Dealings Act 1971 (c. 80) in England and Wales.