Designated Premises Supervisors (DPS)

The sale of alcohol is closely monitored and regulated. One condition that must be met before you’re allowed to start selling is to add a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) to your premises licence. 

Whoever agrees to take the position must hold a current personal licence and is expected to be in day-to-day control of your premises, although they don’t have to be there every minute you’re open. 

What is a designated premises supervisor?

A designated premises supervisor (DPS) is the person who has day-to-day responsibility for running your business and is responsible for the authorisation of selling alcohol.

All businesses and organisations that sell or supply alcohol, with the exception of specific community premises and members-only clubs, must have a designated premises supervisor (DPS) on their premises licence to be able to sell alcohol. 

If your designated premises supervisor (DPS) leaves your organisation, you will need to replace the DPS on your licence. We can help you complete this process quickly and simply if you get in touch with our team.

What does a designated premises supervisor do?

Whoever you choose to be the designated premises supervisor (DPS) for your business will act as the main contact with your local authority and local police.  

They must be able to understand the social impact and potential problems that come with the sale of alcohol, as well as having a strong understanding of your business.

Your designated premises supervisor does not need to be present at your business location all the time, but they must be able to act as a representative for your business.

The DPS also has the power to authorise other members of your team to sell alcohol to businesses or members of the public.

If your business had any alcohol related issues and needed to talk to the police or local authority, your DPS is expected to talk on behalf of your business.

A business can only have one designated premises supervisor at one time, however one person can be the DPS for more than one business. 

How to become a designated premises supervisor 

A DPS must have a personal licence and must be nominated by the premises licence holder for the role of designated supervisor, and listed on the premises licence for your business.

Require help becoming a DPS?

As becoming a designated premises supervisor is a legal requirement, you may be in need of an expert licensing solicitor to help you ensure that everything is done correctly. 

Please get in touch with John Gaunt & Partners and we can help you become or nominate a DPS. 


Designated Premises Supervisor

The person who is nominated as the single point of accountability in a premises, licensed to sell alcohol.  To be a Designated Premises supervisor you must be a Personal Licence holder.