Manslaughter Conviction Following Allergy Death
At a hearing before Manchester Crown Court the owners of the Royal Spice Takeaway in Oswaltwistle were found guilty of manslaughter by gross negligence following the death of Megan Lee in 2016 who had suffered irreversible brain damage caused by an asthma attack triggered by an allergic reaction to peanuts. The order had been placed via Just Eat and an annotation had been made in the comment section of the online order form referencing prawns and nuts.
The Crown Prosecution Service representative stated that:
“The law required Kuddus and Rashid (the Directors) to take reasonable steps to ensure customer safety and to provide food that was not harmful, their manifest failures and complete disregard for the safety of customers was astonishing. No appropriate systems or conditions were in place to protect Megan or any customer with a known allergy”.
Sentencing will take place on the 7th November.