Food Safety - Pub Operator fined £1.5million for food poisoning death


23 Jan

Mitchells & Butlers has been found guilty of placing unsafe food on the market following the death of Della Callagher, 46, who died of food poisoning two days after eating a four-course Christmas meal at the Railway Hotel, Hornchurch in December 2012. A further 33 people fell ill.

The Chef Mehmet Kaya and manager Ann-Marie McSweeney were also jailed at Snaresbrook Crown Court for 12 and 18 months respectively.

The food poisoning was caused by Clostridium perfringens bacterium, which was present because the turkey meat was either not cooked or not reheated properly to a safe temperature

The case highlights the strict regulation surrounding food safety in the licensed trade and emphasises the need to ensure compliance with legislation whether it be Food Safety, Health or more recently legislation in respect of Allergens.

JG&P's eLearningPlus service offers a range of e-learning courses which cover topics including Allergens, Food Safety, Front of House Food Safety, Health and Safety and Front of House Health & Safety.

For example the Food Safety Course covers the basic principles of food safety, which aims to fulfil the legal requirement as a trained food handler to carry out their job safely and effectively, and shows how to manage food, bacteria and biological hazards. Whilst the Allergen course introduces learners to the rules and legislation around food labelling and catering in relation to food allergies and allergenic ingredients to ensure operators comply with the new EU law which came into force on the 13th December 2014.

Full details of all of our eLearningPlus courses together with prices can be found here.

Should you wish to book multiple courses for yourself or your staff please contact our Course Administrator Laura Mateer by email or on 0114 2668664.


Law correct at the date of publication.
Back to Latest News