Covid 19 - Further restrictions announced in Wales
Welsh First Minister, Mark Drakeford has announced that the Welsh government will be implementing “Alert 2” measures from Boxing Day. Alert 2 measures require people to do the following:
- Follow social distancing rules with people you don’t live with or who aren’t in your exclusive extended household
- Wear a face covering (unless you have a reasonable excuse not to wear a face covering) in all indoor public places
- Not meet with anyone in a private home other than those you live with or your exclusive extended household
- Meet no more than 5 other people indoors at a café, restaurant or other open premises (unless with your household of a larger number)
- Meet no more than 5 other people outdoors or in private gardens (unless with your household of a larger number)
- Work from home if you can
With the following premises to be closed;
- Ice skating rinks for public use
- Nightclubs and adult entertainment venues
Alert 2 also includes restrictions on occupancy levels of organised indoor activities (to up to 30 people) and organised outdoor activities (to up to 50 people). Weddings, civil partnerships, funerals and wakes will not be subject to these levels with the occupancy level to be determined by the venue, providing that social distancing and other measures are maintained.
When questioned on the differing approaches adopted by the home nations, Mr Drakeford stated;
"I believe they get all the advice that we get about the need to act and to act urgently in the light of the omicron wave that is coming our way and is already there, in very, very significant numbers in London and in other parts of England.
"I think that the UK government is in a state of paralysis, about all of this.”
The Welsh government has made available a total of £120m in financial support for nightclubs, retail, hospitality, leisure and tourism businesses which will be affected by the reinstatement of restrictions.