Like pubs, clubs can install gaming machines once proper notice has been given or permission obtained. As the holder of Club Premises Certificate you are entitled to install up to two machines from category C or D, once you have given the proper notice and fee to your local authority this is called a licensed premises notification.
However, there are many other types of permissions that we can help you apply for that will allow you to install more machines by obtaining a licensed premises gaming machine permit.
Clubs may also apply for Club Machine Permits or club gaming permits which allow a larger number of higher category gaming machines to be installed. As well increased gaming machine entitlement a club gaming permit removes the cap on prizes and stakes which normally limit members playing poker on the premises.
Details of the different gaming machine categories can be found here: Gaming Machine Category Detail.
We regularly advise clients on their entitlements and appear before committees on behalf of our clients in support of their applications and will do everything we can to give your case the best chance of success.
Club Machine Permit
A permit issued by a licensing authority authorising up to three gaming machines, each of which must be of Category B, C or D, to be made available for use:
- on premises on which a members' club, a commercial club or a miners' welfare institute operates, and
- in the course of the activities of the club or institute.
The permit authorises:
- making up to three gaming machines available for use, each of which must be of Category B, C or D,
- the provision of facilities for gaming which satisfies the conditions in section 269 except for the first condition, and
- the provision of facilities for games of chance, of such class or description as may be prescribed, in accordance with the conditions specified in s. 271(4) of the Gambling Act 2005.
Club Premises Certificate
A certificate granted by a licensing authority under part 4 of Licensing Act 2003.
Licensed Premises Gaming Machine Permit (LPGMP)
An Permit issued by the Local Authority permitting the holder of an alcohol licence (for consumption on the premises) to install 3 or more category C or D machines.
Licensed Premises Notification (LPN)
This is what you need if you only have 2 or less gaming machines on site